Total Pageviews

Translate

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Review: Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler



"Everything else that ever mattered in my entire existence just....Stopped. I was underwater again seeing things in a slow-motion fuzz without sound or context, without feeling, without care. The world could have ended and I wouldn't have noticed.In a way, it did end."


According to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.


A heartbreaking story about Anna who lost the one and only boy she ever loved and cared about but also about a family who lost their only son. In this story we get to see a family struggle to move on buy planning a trip back to Zanzibar Bay to make the first steps of trying to live normal but its anything but. Anna grieves silently to herself and watches her best friend change into an entire different person. 

Will Anna finally be able to move forward if she goes along with her best friends plan to date twenty different guys during their vacation or will this plan make things worse? 

"Somewhere along the California seashore,
a strange wind blows over the ocean, and twenty oblivious boys
simultaneously look up from their surfboards"


 Will she be able to tell her best friend about her time with Matt? Or will she keep it bottled inside to keep her promise to Matt?

"If only I can make her understand how much I cared about him,she'd let me into the exclusive club where all the membershave a right to be irrevocably sad. Instead, I'm an intruder. I look into the windows and see them crying, but I'm on the outside in the dark,and they can't see me."


I loved everything about this story, the sadness, the love, and humor that comes along with trying to move forward from losing someone you loved. I loved the fact that Anna in this is so full of life on the outside but on the inside is still the little girl who grieves everyday and is still head over heals for Matt whether hes there or not. Shes on this vacation because she wants to be closer to Matt and see and feel what he saw and felt while staying in California during his summer vacations. 

"A new wave of butterflies flutters in my chest as I consider this,and I have to close my eyes to beat them down. Those butterflies havenowhere to go but darkness, beating and tangling their wings until they break."


I was hard for me to sit and read the trouble's Anna went through with her best friend. Keeping secrets about Matt and seeing how his death changed everything about Frankie, she was a good girl and turned into a girl who wanted to rebel everything to grieve her own way. It bothered me because I saw the helplessness  Anna felt and how the parents grieved separately and tried not talk about anything that had to about Matt. 

But the best part is, is when you start to have things happen that help you move forward that help you see that you can grieve but don't let it change you and live life because before you know it, it can be gone. 

"Like stars, fading with the halo of the vanishing moon. Like the ocean, falling and whispering against the shore. Nothing ever really goes away-- it just changes into something else. Something beautiful."


I recommend this book to everyone who loves a good sad story that end up bringing a smile to your face. This book was wonderful and completely different then my usual reads. I hope to read more books from this author because this book had me hooked from the beginning to end. I didn't want it to end. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related Post:
Current Read: Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler


No comments:

Post a Comment